Gas Safety Week 2021
13th - 20th September 2021
Gas Safety Week 2021 is almost here and Gas Safe Register are working with the National Housing Federation to raise awareness about the importance of gas safety and keeping people safe in their homes.
What is Gas Safety Week?
Gas Safety Week is an industry-wide, awareness raising campaign and a timely reminder to millions of people across the country to make sure family, friends, tenants and colleagues stay gas safe and focus on the importance of taking care of gas appliances.
It’s co-ordinated by the Gas Safe Register and supported by thousands of organisations helping keep our nation’s gas safe. We all know that in the right hands gas is safe, but poorly fitted and badly maintained gas appliances or equipment can put you at risk of gas leaks, fires explosions, and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly with no warning, as you cannot see it, smell it or taste it.
The week is packed with activities to highlight the dangers of things like faulty gas appliances and equipment. It also promotes the importance of hiring qualified engineers to service gas equipment annually.
Landlords including housing associations must make sure that:
- Maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out every year and a Gas Safety Record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check, or to any new tenant before they move in.
- Gas pipework, appliances and flues provided for tenants are in a safe condition.
- A copy of the Gas Safety Record is kept until two further checks have taken place.
- Maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
- All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.
Get Involved in Gas Safety Week 2021
For more information, please visit:
Here, you'll find useful information and "The Ripple Effect", a helpful awareness video.